Saturday, August 7, 2010

Is That All There Is

Is anyone familiar anymore with that song 'Is That All There Is" made famous by Peggy Lee?
On the one time that I visited Paris, I did not go to the Pere Lachaisse cemetery to gawk at Jim Morrison's grave; I went to Montparnasse and visited the graves of Jean Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir and Samuel Beckett. I was reading Waiting For Godot again last night.
"No use struggling"
"One is what one is"
"No use wriggling"
"The essential doesn't change"
"Nothing to be done"
Really Samuel? As someone who has spent her life swimming upstream, I would like to echo what Peggy said -"Then let's start dancing." Albert Camus stated in The Myth of Sisyphus that just because life is absurd and meaningless does not mean suicide is the answer. I don't think breaking out the booze is the answer either and yet, to paraphrase Sgt. Elias from Platoon, with enough booze and loud music, you feel like you are actually doing something.
Anyway, watch Bette Midler doing a wonderful rendition of Is That All There Is. Maybe dance a little, too.

4 comments:

Anachronist said...

I liked the song, thanks!

The Red Witch said...

You are welcome. What do you think about Estragon and Vladimir's comments - Nothing to be done?

Anachronist said...

What do you think about Estragon and Vladimir's comments - Nothing to be done?

The play is so simple that it really invites all kinds of social, religious and political interpretations. Although I believe that plenty of things can be done in one's life, I sometimes do consider the wisdom of these comments, especially in politics. No matter who you vote for these days, after elections there's usually "nothing to be done" by them. ;)

The Red Witch said...

I think there has been progress. After all, we are no longer serfs and we have access to education. We can own property and get a job.