Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Franks Casket

In the holistic view of things, that everything is interrelated, I am going to agree that all the sides of the carved box have something to do with each other. Many scholars think the right side depicts the burial of Sigurd, which doesn't make sense to me. I like a suggestion from Thomas Bredehof that it is rather Hengist and Horsa, which balances out the left side which shows Romulus and Remus, the twin founders of Rome, being suckled by the she wolf. Hengist and Horsa are the twins who founded the kingdoms of the English.
My interest in the casket is due to the depiction on the front of Wayland the Smith and his brother Egil appears on the lid. The casket is from early 8th century Northumbria and is now housed at the British Museum. Here is a site that discusses the casket with good photos of all sides.
Since sides and portions mirror and complement each other, I am going to go out on a limb and say that the swan/goose on the front panel with the Magi hints that Wayland may have had a swan bride early on.
For those of you who are not familiar with the story of Egil, that is because his story has been taken over by William Tell.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I must revisit the British Museum and look out for it, it's been a few years since I last visited it.

Anachronist said...

It can be seen in the British Museum? Dear me, the things I MISSED there...I must revisit as well!

The Red Witch said...

Would that we could all go together and have a good chat about what is on the box. We three together could probably figure it out.

Anachronist said...

Oh it would be lovely indeed! ;)I am defnitely in just let me know when...